Bridge Troll

Performance issues and common fixes/tweaks

57 posts in this topic

Hello there folks of Phoenix.

If you have any sort of performance problems, this guide is for you. It will show common fixes and work-arounds to get the best experience out of this game. Even though I hope something here will help you, none of the below have any fixed or guaranteed impact on your performance. It can get better, worse or just nothing happens.

You know of any furthur bugs, issues, possible fixes or errors in this guide? Feel free to post suggestions below so it can be added/altered.

Safety note

As it comes to modifying game and system data through external sources, be sure to backup all affected files before you apply any kind of patch. If you are not sure about a step or how to perform certain actions, please ask here or someone who can help you.

Symbology for the settings

• Performance increase
  • No impact on performance
  • Slightly to average performance impact
  • High performance impact
  • Information needs confirmation from more players

Launcher Settings

To start, let's first have a look at the settings you can select from the launcher.

• The DirectX version will change your overall visuals. Since it is older technology it will look worse than DirectX 9. Using the older version does not always mean an instant performance increase but it is quite likely(#)
  • A Pixel Shader will determin the quality of surface and material properties. This will have an impact on your GPU(#)
  • Starting the game in windowed mode can give you the ability to experiment with resolutions. Try different ones and see how it affects your game(#)(#)
  • V-Sync basically stops your GPU from updating the seen image on your screen while the previous image is still building up. Should be enabled if you have high fps in general as it can prevent screen tearing and other screen-related issues(#)
  • Load Texture On Demand won't affect you in a big way. If enabled it loads the textures needed for the scene as you join the server, if not it will load all textures as you start the game. Either way, it will create workload on your GPU and CPU only once.(#)
  • Texture detail should be clear. Try different values(#)
  • The maximum framerate should be set to 60. This should be the most stable framerate, actually setting it to higher/different values can result in undefined behavior, however my guess is that M&B does not have any frame-related events that would affect any gameplay mechanics.(not confirmed)
  • Antialiasing does look nice, but it takes a lot of resources. Switch it off and you should get a great fps increase(#)
  • Shadow computing creates a lot of workload. Switch it to Low and you should see some fps going up(#)

afoUtXt.png

In-game Settings

• Monitor Gamma changes your brightness. Should not have any effect on your performance(#)
  • Shader Quality determines quite a lot of effects in-game, in general effects that have to do with vertex and pixel/fragment manipulation. Lightning, Water, Materials and so on(#)
  • HDR or High Dynamic Range is about the lightning quality in the scene, expecially the brightness of reflections(#)
  • The High-contrast Tonemap setting apparently dims the effect of HDR to an more acceptable value, surface reflections no longer burn your eyes that much(not confirmed)
  • Depth effects blurs objects which are positioned far away from the players camera(#)
  • Instancing is a efficient way to create multiple copies of one object without any big impact on performance. Should actually increase performance in scenes that use the same object several times.(#)(#)
  • Grass Density is exactly what it says(#)
  • Shadow on Plants does not have a big effect, yet still takes some resources(#)
  • Tree detail changes the level of detail model for all of your trees(#)
  • Character and Character Shadow Detail are self-explanatory(#)
  • Number of Corpses and number of Ragdolls both affects performance greatly, especially in a battle(#)
  • Dynamic lightning has not too much of an effect from what I saw. There are almost no objects that cast a shadow which would need dynamic shadow computing. There are only carts and trees, but their shadow gets only updated after a certain time periode, so nothing "dynamic" there(not confirmed)
  • Character Shadow should be self-explaining(#)
  • High detailed Particle System has a big impact on performance, as particles overall take quite some resource to be displayed(#)
  • Anisotropic Filtering affects the texture quality of far afield textures/ textures that are stretched on the seen surface due to the degree the players camera looks at it. Has a very high visual effect at the cost of a small resource amount(#)
  • Fast Water Refelctions should also improve your performance(#)

5g2krln.jpg

ij5KTyQ.jpg

Persistent World LoD patch

There is a small, sort of patch that adds in some Level of Detail models for objects. You need two downloads, first, the patch itself and secondly the actual objects which feature LoD. It can be found here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,160403.0.html under "Optional player client downloads:"

4GB patch

mb_warband.exe is a x86 (32 bit) architecture application. Normally the maximum amount of RAM it can reserve is 2GB. This small programm can change that to 4GB, even if it is not a x64 application. But be warned, it worked for me, but as M&B already runs on the highest settings without issues, I could not see any increase or decrease in performance. And yes, as this is something that modifies your game remotely, your game might get unstable to play. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Process/task settings

You can always try and set the amount of cores used by the application as well as the priority. Setting the amount of cores only give the application the allowance to use them, I'm not sure how well M&B is with multithreading on multi-core CPU's. However from going to TW forums and from gathereing results by myself it is quite likely that M&B utilizes 2 cores. If setting the process affinity and priority is not possible with your current Task Management Program, try using different ones like Process Explorer or Process Hacker.

Game is crashing when tabbed out

For some players, if you tab out of the game using either "Alt+Tab" or "Windows Left+Tab" the application crashes. One solution to that is, instead of using the "Alt+Tab" hotkey-combi when in fullscreen, first switch to windowed mode by pressing "Alt+Enter", wait until the game is visible as window and then use either the mouse normally or the "Alt-Tab" keys to switch to your desktop.

Reset your warband config

To do so, go to "C:\Users\WINDOWSPROFILE\Documents\Mount&Blade Warband"(replace WINDOWSPROFILE with your windows profile name) and delete the rgl_config.txt 

Additional notes

• As always, make sure you have the latest driver packages installed
  • Close other applications while you have M&B open do reduce the workload on your system
  • As far as possible with your rig, try overclocking your processing units (If you don't know anything about it, don't do it)

Kind Regards,

Bridge Troll

It's amazing how helpful people can be when epeen reputation points are introduced.

4 minutes ago, Reginald said:

It's amazing how helpful people can be when epeen reputation points are introduced.

;))))))))))))

1 hour ago, Reginald said:

I already posted something like that one the old Forum, just not as elaborated as this one. Thanks for your suggestion meme lord.

I'm sure this'll be helpful to new players or people with shit PCs (not my case huehue) 

Well done Bridge!

@Hamilcar Barca fuck off !!1!1!xd

how come in some battles i will drop down to 30 fps and some battles i will stay at 60 fps even though its the same amount of people fighting

@EndoftheEnd that can literally have 100 different reasons. My guess would be that there are quite a lot of ragdolls or particles at once. These two would also be effects that can be different even if the amount players is the same and appear frequently in battles.

Edited by Bridge Troll

Never had to see these kind of topics since I always play on maximum graphics with high fps. Though once when I forgot the editing thingie on and went IG it was just horrid. I could barely go higher than 30 fps.

On 2 May 2016 at 11:27 PM, EndoftheEnd said:

how come in some battles i will drop down to 30 fps and some battles i will stay at 60 fps even though its the same amount of people fighting

Server side lag can have an effect aswell as internet lag so that is the most likely rather than a poorly set configuration